St-George

1908 to 2008-History of St. George Parish, Clinton

During the second half of the nineteenth century, Irish Catholics settled in what was then the village of Warwick, situated between the Tuscarawas and Chippewa Rivers. These immigrants found jobs in area glass works and stone quarries, and on the Eire-Ohio Canal and Erie Railroad. Dominican priests initially celebrated Mass with the area's residents. By the turn of the centery, however, the community, under the direction of Mr. Harry Williams, an area ticket agent, petitioned the Diocese to establish a permanent church. In 1905, Father George Forst, pastor of Ss. Philip and James Parish in Canal Fulton, Ohio, was authorized to organize an area mission. Still without a church, the community celebrated Mass in a dance hall owned by Mr. Louis Schmitt. Three years later, it began construction on St. George Church.

For the next four decades, the Clinton Catholic community remained a mission of Ss. Philip and James Parish. In 1948, the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland elevated the community to parochial status, appointing Father Paul Haren its first pastor. Soon after his appointment, Father Haren oversaw a work crew with many volunteer laborers in the completion of the parish rectory. In the wake of Father Haren's death in 1954, St. George Parish has welcomed five pastors: Father Edward Murphy(1954-1960), Father George McDonough(1960-1965), Father Francis Denka(1965-1966), Father Joseph Magyar(1966-1991), and Msgr Robert Bacher(1992-2008).

In the late 1990's, the community launched a number of renovation and improvement projects. At that time it had a variety of social organizations, including a parish council, Altar and Rosary Society, Parish School of Religion, and a Community Food Pantry. St. George Parish also participated in a variety of area ecumenical projects.

The members of St. George, after the death of their pastor, Msgr. Bacher, in April 2008 requested that their church be closed. This was granted by the Diocese of Cleveland and the last Mass was celebrated on Saturday, October 25, 2008 by Bishop Richard Lennon, Bishop of the Diocese of Cleveland.

Pictures from the History of St. George, Clinton